This year, we are taking a different approach to our Budget Training Workshops. Rather than trying to fit every bit of information into 1 hour of training, we are requesting that each President and/or Treasurer go over the administrative details on their own, so that we can spend the time in training going over practical examples, common mistakes, and addressing your questions and concerns. Carefully read the instructions below, watch the brief videos (2.5 and 9 minutes, respectively), and download the appropriate files, all of which have specifically been created to assist you.
As you prepare to attend a budget training workshop and apply for funds, please do the following:
1. Confirm that your student group is SGA-recognized. If you applied for SGA-recognition on or before August 28, you should have received correspondence from Huw Ball, the Director of Student Groups, indicating whether or not your group was successfully recognized. If your group was not recognized due to an error in your application, you may have received instructions on how to correct that error. If you have any questions or concerns about your SGA-recognition status, please email Huw at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Ensure that your organization's OrgSync profile is up-to-date with current President and Treasurer names and contact information. Watch the video below for instructions on how to do so. After submitting your renewal request, you will receive confirmation from SORC when it has been received and approved.
3. Watch the video below on how to create a New Budget Request on OrgSync. Use the accompanying OrgSync Instruction Manual as a guide for when you complete this process yourself, as it contains more details instructions than the video alone. THIS WILL NOT BE COVERED DURING THE TRAINING WORKSHOP. It is your responsibility to review these materials and then seek additional assistance via email or during office hours if you need it.
OrgSync Budget Management System Instruction Manual
4. Download these two examples of Budget Applications that we will go over during training. These sample applications include commentary from the SGA Finance Committee that should be helpful to you in recognizing common mistakes, which could result in your group's request not being funded.
5. Download the Manual on Financial Affairs & Discretionary Guidelines. Use this document as your ultimate guide when filling out a budget application, as this is what the SGA Finance Committee uses to ensure that an application abides by our policies. Specifically, read about each of the Line Items that are relevant to the items that your group plans to request.
Manual on Financial Affairs & Discretionary Guidelines - November 2017
Click the download link on the left to access the slides from our workshop.
We look forward to seeing you at our training workshop on November 2, so that you may become certified. Remember, only certified Presidents & Treasurers of SGA-recognized groups are eligible to apply for funding on their group's behalf.